Sunday, November 18, 2007

Check Yes Or No

( I deleted the video because it kept auto starting and it was angering me.)

Well well well, we’re back here at our usual Sunday and Wednesday night hang out. I know some of you (namely one) were turned off last week by the fact that I decided to use a country video in my post, so I took that into consideration. This week’s post is on the first video I can remember watching, which happens to be a George Strait western video titled “Check Yes or No.” Several factors make it seem reasonable that this would be my devirginizing video. One is that in the house of my early youth, any genre that sounded like rock and roll was the work of the devil, and we didn’t even know what rap was. I honestly think it would have been regarded lower on the list of unholies than Hitler himself. So yes, deionization of pop culture is one reason why the video is country.
The second is that we lived very far out in the country, close to Tibet but not quite to Lancashire. This meant that the only TV station we got was PBS when it was cloudy out; or maybe it was when it wasn’t cloudy… anywho. We had a VCR from the 70’s, so whenever my sisters went to see my Grandmother up north (bless her soul) they made liberal use of her cable TV, and captured well over a hundred hours of CMT videos and brought them back home with them. Therefore, I watched a lot of country videos.
This one happens to be the first I can remember, and it fits me well. Corny, twangy, ridiculous in general. The part I love the most is how it gives ugly kids the hope that they can hook up with pretty girls. Gives hope to all those crazy little horn dogs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your voice always comes so clearly through your writing, sarcasm ringing true. You have this sense of sarcasm that is unique and you share it unabashedly. I can’t say I relate to your taste in country at all, I prefer the Indie scene from my hometown of Omaha, but you at least make me sympathetic to the twangy cowboy. Your reflection and observation were definitely the high light of my day, my roommate shooting me nervous looks as I literally LOLed. Good times, and I look forward to coming back to the usual Sunday hangout soon.

ENG-001; Language and Writing said...

So, last time we had to do these response thingys, I started at the top of the list and worked my way down 'til I had three. This time I decided to go in the reverse direction, ...and I hit the jackpot right away, so to speak. Lol. I love your voice in your writing. It's just FUN! From the very beginning it hooked me in and made me want to read it all. So, good job. :)

I was one of those who grew up with country, too. "I liked country when country wasn't cool." Anyways, it was a great story, nice conclusion, lol. This video and song are awesome, very upbeat and happy. George Straight rules!